We offer the following discounts:
- Early-Bird Discount: $500 off a semester course, $200 off a summer course. This discount typically expires several months prior to course start to encourage early enrollment. Please check the individual course listing to find out whether and when an early-bird discount is offered for a specific course. Not all courses are eligible for this discount.
- Alumni Discount: 10% off course tuition for any alumnus/a returning for a second or subsequent course. This discount also applies to immediate family members (i.e. siblings, parents). It also applies to alumni of Girl Scouts destinations courses who enroll in an open enrollment course.
- Friends and Family Discount: 10% off each for two or more friends/family members who enroll in a course during the same season. Students are encouraged to take different courses but must pay tuition towards courses taking place within the same year and season (fall, spring or summer).
- Veteran’s Discount: 15% off. This discount is not extended to immediate family members.
Rules & Restrictions
- Discounts are not available for Girl Scouts Destinations or Custom courses. Early-Bird Discount is not available for the Leadership Semester course.
- Discounts cannot be combined; if a student is eligible for multiple discounts, he/she will receive the one that will give him/her the greatest amount off course tuition.
- Discounts are independent of any scholarship award or outside financial assistance.
- Qualifying documentation (i.e. military discharge papers) may be required to secure discount eligibility.
Outward Bound Costa Rica offers aid in the form of scholarships to deserving students who demonstrate financial need. Scholarships are only available for specific courses and cover a portion of tuition costs and fees.
To apply for a scholarship, fill out the application completely and send it to us via email or fax.
Click on the following link to download the scholarship application:
Rules & Restrictions
- Scholarship applications will not be reviewed until all required pieces are received.
- All scholarship descisions are final.
- Scholarship awards are not transferrable to courses other than that specified on the application without the express, written permission of the Scholarship Committee.
- Girl Scouts Destinations students and those attending custom courses are not eligible to receive scholarship assistance.
- Students applying to the Leadership Semester should be aware that we have extremely limited funding available for scholarships dedicated to this course, as it is focused on professional development and we ask that students view their participation as an investment in their professional future.
Outside Financial Assistance
University Financial Aid
Students interested in gaining academic credit from Western State Colorado University may be able to transfer financial aid from various federal or private sources for use towards tuition costs. Visit our Academic Credit page for information on how to contact Western State Colorado University regarding rules and restrictions.
AmeriCorps Education Awards
Western State Colorado University can accept funds from AmeriCorps and the Corporation for National and Community Service. Any students who have received an education award for his/her service and wishes to apply it towards Outward Bound Costa Rica tuition can do so by enrolling with Western State for academic credit. Visit our Academic Credit page for details and contact information for Western State Colorado University .
Outward Bound Costa Rica has been working to make arrangements for US Military veterans to use benefits to finance their participation, especially for our professional development course: the Leadership Semester. More information coming soon.
Girl Scouts Destinations
Girl Scouts destinations students are encouraged to consult with their respective councils and troops regarding course financing. The majority of students who attend our destinations courses receive some financial assistance through Cookie Dough, GSUSA and Council scholarship programs, and/or their troops.
Sponsorship & Matching Gifts
Various philanthropic organizations may support local youth participation in Outward Bound. Contact local chapters of the American Legion, Rotary Club, etc. to inquire about scholarship programs or available financial assistance.